Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Okay, this is what is going on...

My dear mother in law Hilary has been diagnosed with ALS or Lou Gehrig’s. It has really hit her hard. She needs the aid of a walker to get around and if she is walking on uneven ground it is best for her to have her wheel chair. She tells me that it is "frustrating" mainly because she is not able to do the things she wants to. Like her gardening, catering, and reading takes longer than she is used too etc. Amazingly her spirits are high she is such a strength. For me emotionally it is hard and mentally I can't believe it. Jesse is such a rock; I do not think it has really hit him. He keeps on telling me that he is fine, other than that he does not talk much about it. Whenever we do talk it is the same thing. It is frustrating for us to see, the everyday things that we take for granted like wiping the food from our hands and face after eating is difficult for her. Taking a shower, getting dressed, brushing hair, talking,even walking, and preparing meals. It took her an hour to chop one cucumber and she was so happy that she accomplished that. Even through this trial is in her life she has so much joy and keeps cracking us up. If you do not know what ALS is here is a link http://www.alsa.org/ If you want to support the fight against ALS http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/EvergreenWalk/1828909560?px=2349701&pg=personal&fr_id=5987

2 comments:

Jolie said...

I pray that she can live the fullest life possible. It's times like these that remind us that our very lives truly are in God's hands.
Hillary is an inspiration to me, too. Send her my love!!!

Tammie said...

I am so sorry. I understand how you are feeling as that is what my dad passed away from. Fortunately he was able to continue to get around until the day he went into the hospital and was such an example to me in enduring trials. Give your mom in law a hug for me and I will keep her in my prayers.
Tammie Natter